State Track Series
04/18/2021 8:51:09 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Will District and Sectional meets have the identical one-day format of events as the State meet?
Will District and Sectional meets have the identical one-day format of events as the State meet?
04/19/2021 12:21:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It is up to the games committees of each district and sectional to establish the meet schedules. It is STRONGLY recommended by MSHSAA that the 3200m is raced before the 4x800m relay, as it will be at state. It is also recommended that travel distance be considered when setting the time schedule. The debate on prelims/finals is ongoing with a vote recently being taken. Those are probably your three main concerns.
It is up to the games committees of each district and sectional to establish the meet schedules. It is STRONGLY recommended by MSHSAA that the 3200m is raced before the 4x800m relay, as it will be at state.

It is also recommended that travel distance be considered when setting the time schedule.

The debate on prelims/finals is ongoing with a vote recently being taken.

Those are probably your three main concerns.
04/19/2021 1:08:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@FestusGirlsTF Debate no more. There will be no prelims in running or field events at district meets.
@FestusGirlsTF Debate no more. There will be no prelims in running or field events at district meets.
04/19/2021 2:44:18 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks Coach.
Thanks Coach.
04/19/2021 3:38:18 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
How can it be up to a games committee. Everything was about uniformity before. Why now do the formats have to not be uniform? So you could potentially run one format at Districts, one at Sectionals, and back to the other at state?
How can it be up to a games committee.

Everything was about uniformity before.

Why now do the formats have to not be uniform?

So you could potentially run one format at Districts, one at Sectionals, and back to the other at state?
04/19/2021 9:17:15 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I do have a recent email from Don that says games committees set the schedule. Don’s email this afternoon cited a bylaw which states the district meet must mirror the state meet. I expect many also desired uniformity in regards to the 3200m. The recommended schedule for districts only allowed 1 hour between the 3200m and 4x800m. I think many athletes and coaches would just keep the same schedule we’ve always used.
I do have a recent email from Don that says games committees set the schedule. Don's email this afternoon cited a bylaw which states the district meet must mirror the state meet. I expect many also desired uniformity in regards to the 3200m.

The recommended schedule for districts only allowed 1 hour between the 3200m and 4x800m. I think many athletes and coaches would just keep the same schedule we've always used.
04/20/2021 8:20:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@FestusGirlsTF So the 3200's will be before the 4 x 800 or it will be a normal meet order. I guess it is the e-mail that confused me. If it does have to be like state then the 3200's would be first. This is frustrating for planning. We are less than a month out. These schedules need to come on out.
@FestusGirlsTF

So the 3200's will be before the 4 x 800 or it will be a normal meet order.

I guess it is the e-mail that confused me.

If it does have to be like state then the 3200's would be first.

This is frustrating for planning.

We are less than a month out.

These schedules need to come on out.
04/20/2021 9:52:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
From my interpretation of the email sent by MSHSAA yesterday, district and sectionals are supposed to follow the state schedule. I guess you can play with the time schedule as there is some room for play if you don't have para events or what time you plan to start the meet based on teams traveling. I also happen to think the state meet is setup with too much downtime, so I think you can compress the time schedule a bit. Sectionals moves pretty fast with only 8 entries in each event. Which is part of the reason it's my favorite meet of the year-One heat of high level athletes in each event makes for a fun meet. State being one of my least favorite meets with all of the downtime and lack of access to athletes, parking, protocols, etc. I really do think the new schedule with the 3200m leading off the meet and then moving to the 4x800m relay next is dumb. It's not really fair to distance runners, even with a 1:45 rest period between events. It's not easy to run the longest run of the day and then have to come back and be asked to do a long "sprint" less than two hours later. It also gives an advantage to teams with more depth with their distance runners and may not have to double up their 3200m and 4x8 runners. It also creates almost 2 hours of nothing happening on the track between the 3200m and the 4x8. While I'm not opposed to running the 3200m in the cooler part of the day, I will never understand how we yell about not making our 3200m runners run in the heat of the day, but when it comes to running 5k in cross country, we don't seem to have an issue running meets in 90°+, humid weather in the afternoons in August and September. There's only so much adaptation that takes place with heat.
From my interpretation of the email sent by MSHSAA yesterday, district and sectionals are supposed to follow the state schedule. I guess you can play with the time schedule as there is some room for play if you don't have para events or what time you plan to start the meet based on teams traveling. I also happen to think the state meet is setup with too much downtime, so I think you can compress the time schedule a bit. Sectionals moves pretty fast with only 8 entries in each event. Which is part of the reason it's my favorite meet of the year-One heat of high level athletes in each event makes for a fun meet. State being one of my least favorite meets with all of the downtime and lack of access to athletes, parking, protocols, etc.

I really do think the new schedule with the 3200m leading off the meet and then moving to the 4x800m relay next is dumb. It's not really fair to distance runners, even with a 1:45 rest period between events. It's not easy to run the longest run of the day and then have to come back and be asked to do a long "sprint" less than two hours later. It also gives an advantage to teams with more depth with their distance runners and may not have to double up their 3200m and 4x8 runners. It also creates almost 2 hours of nothing happening on the track between the 3200m and the 4x8. While I'm not opposed to running the 3200m in the cooler part of the day, I will never understand how we yell about not making our 3200m runners run in the heat of the day, but when it comes to running 5k in cross country, we don't seem to have an issue running meets in 90°+, humid weather in the afternoons in August and September. There's only so much adaptation that takes place with heat.
04/20/2021 10:53:38 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachcasa Agreed on all accounts.
@coachcasa

Agreed on all accounts.
04/21/2021 8:11:37 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
This can't be good for the 200/4x4 kids either.
This can't be good for the 200/4x4 kids either.
04/24/2021 11:48:46 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@knox They MUST build-in recovery time between the 200 and 4x400. This is non-negotiable. Those athletes are the same athletes. 3200 has been run at the end of the day for at last three decades of track and field. No need to shift this permanently.
@knox They MUST build-in recovery time between the 200 and 4x400. This is non-negotiable. Those athletes are the same athletes. 3200 has been run at the end of the day for at last three decades of track and field. No need to shift this permanently.
04/24/2021 1:26:15 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo obviously, I’m more of a field guy than track, but I don’t see any of this being a better option for distance or sprints. (And after a long day at a meet a 20 minute dead time before the last event is definitely not fan friendly)
@bantazmo obviously, I'm more of a field guy than track, but I don't see any of this being a better option for distance or sprints. (And after a long day at a meet a 20 minute dead time before the last event is definitely not fan friendly)
04/25/2021 8:18:59 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=knox]@bantazmo obviously, I’m more of a field guy than track, but I don’t see any of this being a better option for distance or sprints. (And after a long day at a meet a 20 minute dead time before the last event is definitely not fan friendly)[/quote] I would say that the normal state meet schedule is anything but fan friendly. In fact I would go so far to say the normal state meet is mostly boring with peaks of excitement. There is way too much downtime just sitting around waiting for the next event to start. I LOVE that we are single classes again this year. My favorite state meet of all-time was two years ago when we were forced to be single class and we didn't have to be in Jefferson City. It ran so much more smoothly and it was nice for coaches to have real access to their athletes while they were competing. State is usually my least favorite meet of the season. The state series is not exactly athlete friendly either. Just one example that has always driven my crazy at state is when I watch them lineup athletes for a track event and make them stand in the sun waiting to be walked to the line for their event, while the meet workers sit under a tent in the shade.
knox wrote:
@bantazmo obviously, I'm more of a field guy than track, but I don't see any of this being a better option for distance or sprints. (And after a long day at a meet a 20 minute dead time before the last event is definitely not fan friendly)

I would say that the normal state meet schedule is anything but fan friendly. In fact I would go so far to say the normal state meet is mostly boring with peaks of excitement. There is way too much downtime just sitting around waiting for the next event to start. I LOVE that we are single classes again this year. My favorite state meet of all-time was two years ago when we were forced to be single class and we didn't have to be in Jefferson City. It ran so much more smoothly and it was nice for coaches to have real access to their athletes while they were competing. State is usually my least favorite meet of the season.

The state series is not exactly athlete friendly either. Just one example that has always driven my crazy at state is when I watch them lineup athletes for a track event and make them stand in the sun waiting to be walked to the line for their event, while the meet workers sit under a tent in the shade.
04/26/2021 9:27:50 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Just a suggestion for a temporary solution- move the 4x800 to follow the 4x400. Fans will go crazy with a sprint and mid-distance relay ending the meet and most likely deciding the best teams in the State.
Just a suggestion for a temporary solution- move the 4x800 to follow the 4x400. Fans will go crazy with a sprint and mid-distance relay ending the meet and most likely deciding the best teams in the State.
04/26/2021 9:39:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@macruns 3 of 4x8 guys are also 4x4 guys. Maybe all 4.
@macruns
3 of 4x8 guys are also 4x4 guys. Maybe all 4.
04/26/2021 10:36:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
In 81 and 82, the 3200 Relay finals were run on Friday night after the 1600 Relay prelims. It cost my school a state trophy in 81, as Chester has noted, 2 of my 4 were on both relays and we ended up only 7th in the 4X8. We were 2nd the next day in the 4X4. A side note to Banta, the 2 Mile was ran in 1968 at the Class L state meet and in 1969 in both the Class M and S state meets. In both cases, just prior to the mile relay. You were off a few decades, young pup.
In 81 and 82, the 3200 Relay finals were run on Friday night after the 1600 Relay prelims. It cost my school a state trophy in 81, as Chester has noted, 2 of my 4 were on both relays and we ended up only 7th in the 4X8. We were 2nd the next day in the 4X4.
A side note to Banta, the 2 Mile was ran in 1968 at the Class L state meet and in 1969 in both the Class M and S state meets. In both cases, just prior to the mile relay. You were off a few decades, young pup.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.